03 Jan 6 Resolutions Your Pet Really Needs You To Stick To This Year
We all know the drill with New Year’s Resolutions. We make them with the best intentions of really following through this year, and by February most of us have let them slide. But when it comes to the health and happiness of our pets, there are some resolutions we should be sure we stay committed to throughout the year.
- Take your pet to the vet at the first sign of a symptom. Too often pet owners wait to see if that small lump, cough, or limp will go away on its own, but anything out of the ordinary can be the first sign of something more serious. If your pet is developing an illness or condition, waiting weeks or months to have it diagnosed could have dire consequences for your pet’s health.
- Take your pet to the vet even if it isn’t sick. Tagging along with resolution #1, even if your pet isn’t showing any unusual symptoms, commit to take him or her to the vet for a wellness exam at least once a year. Veterinarians are trained to thoroughly examine your pet in ways you can’t, and they’re able to detect signs of illness that may not be visibly apparent. For example, one pet owner hadn’t felt a cancerous lump on her dog, but the vet detected it during a routine visit.
- Keep up with flea and tick treatments year-round. As temperatures start to fall, many pet owners are tempted to think that it’s ok to take a break from making sure their pets are protected with flea, tick, and heartworm prevention products. They assume that the colder temperatures kill off all flea and tick infestations, but our relatively mild East Tennessee winters just aren’t cold enough or long enough to do this entirely.
- Don’t rely on over-the-counter flea prevention products. As explained in 3 Facts These Vet Techs Really Want You To Know About Fleas, over-the-counter flea products often aren’t effective at killing fleas during all stages of growth. Too many pet owners finally turn to their vets after being exhausted from giving flea baths, spraying the house or getting pest control to come out, when the real problem is that over-the-counter flea prevention products are not working on their pets.
- Don’t buy online medications. It’s understandable to want to get better deals on medications or preventative products, but many pet owners aren’t aware that online pet medications are not always legitimate. FDA experts continually warn that buying discount pet products online may be from sites that appear legitimate but are actually fronts for unapproved, counterfeit, or expired pet meds which could be short-changing your pet’s health or even putting his life at risk.
- Stay on top of dental health. When it comes to the health of our pets, dental care is one of the most overlooked and neglected practices. Since dogs and cats don’t usually have a problem with cavities, many pet owners assume all is well with their furry friend’s oral health. However, approximately 80% of dogs and 70% of cats develop some form of periodontal disease by the age of 3. And the health risk isn’t limited to the teeth and gums—it can infect your pet’s internal organs and reduce your pet’s overall lifespan. It’s important to have a veterinarian examine and clean your pet’s teeth and gums during annual well-care visits, and ask your vet what you should be doing at home to continue with your pet’s dental care.
To help you easily and affordably stick to your pet’s health resolutions, PetWellClinic® offers substantially discounted prices for exams, vaccinations, safe and effective flea and tick preventative products, and treatment of minor conditions. We offer quick in-and-out service for non-surgical care during convenient evening and weekend hours, with no appointment necessary. To see how we’re able to offer more affordable pet care without compromising quality, check out our free and quick guidebook about how PetWellClinic® can save you time and money.
PetWellClinic® has three locations: 10549 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37922; 7329 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37919; and 228 S. Calderwood Street, Alcoa, TN 37701. Learn more about how PetWellClinic® can exceed your expectations for top quality, affordable pet care by visiting our website at www.petwellclinic.com.